Monday, October 14, 2013

How To Add A Fully Functional Toolbar To Your VB.NET Application?

9:21 AM

First off, I have to apologize for not blogging in so long, I am truly sorry to keep you waiting, but I had a lot of personal matters to arrange. Finally I am done with that and I am here to respond a question that a dear friend of mine Mr.Mansur Ali Shah posted under a snap-shot I have posted in BS CheEtaZz’s Facebook group/forum on October 9th at 6:54PM.

That snap-shot was about a simple application I have created using VB.NET which had a fully functional toolbar menu and Mr. Mansur particularly asked me how I have implemented such a fully functional toolbar on my application and on this short post I will show you step-by-step how I have did that. So follow me along and take advantage from these tiny steps.

  • Open a new project in visual basic and name it whatever you like.
  • Now you will have a ready project with a plane form accordingly named [ form1 ] on that stage don’t do anything else just go to the toolbox and search a tool object called MenuStrip under Menus & Toolbars section inside the toolbox, for more info look the below image as a reference.
By the way MenuStrip is the tool that gives you the functionality of a toolbar menu taps and that is what we need to add our form in order to get that toolbar functionality and later on we’ll give it a code to function. 
But for now just click that menustrip tool and drag it over your form surface.
  • Hopefully if you did the previous two steps correctly you’ll see on top your form a shaded portion like the one in bellow image which says type here. So it’s time to give your toolbar menu items a text or formally a name. So do that and run your application to see if the toolbar is there.
  • Now that we’ve done and decorated our form’s design by adding a toolbar items, let’s start coding,  and to make any specific item work accordingly we’ve to give it a command or certainly a code, and to do that you should double click that specific menu item which you want to give the code and at the moment you double click, it will take you to the coding environment and in there do your best coding skills and run your application again to check the code. That is what it takes to add your VB.NET application a fully functional toolbar.
Disclaimer: This post is not an academic review neither a regular tutorial, it’s just my own way to share information and tips with my respected viewers, friends, and classmates, and the truth is in order to answer Mr. Mansur's query just underneath his question I truly thought it will be much better if I made a post from it on LBR blog so that ever online viewer could take advantage from the detailed answer.

Special Thanks to Mr. Mansur Ali Shah for tagging such an informative question which made me able to write an article from it. Thank you indeed.

And at last but not at least if you really admire the little work i am doing here at LBR please show some love and leave your review under the comments section below. i have also to mention discussions are open so feel free to raise your questions.

Written by

Yusuf is a freelancer and a friendly junior web and software developer, usually involves with the modern technology innovations and updates. Blogging and sharing bright ideas are his hobbies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 Learn By Research. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top